Safe and Secure Sealed Sources for Beneficial Use
The International Source Suppliers and Producers Association (ISSPA) is an association that is comprised of companies who are international industry leaders in the manufacture, production and supply of sealed radioactive sources and/or equipment that contain sealed radioactive sources as an integral component of the radiation processing or treatment system, device, gauge or camera.
Radioisotope products are used in a wide range of applications in that impinge upon health, safety, and security. Effective source management practices are a cornerstone to strengthen the long term safety and security of radioactive sources throughout their life cycle. Radioactive sources are a safe, secure, viable technology for use in a variety of important medical, industrial, and research applications.
ISSPA aims to ensure the ongoing and beneficial use of radioactive isotope sealed sources and promotes continuous improvements in the safe and secure use, transportation and end of life management of sealed sources.
ISSPA addresses a number of industry-critical concerns including safety, security, lifecycle management, denial of shipments, isotope supply and transportation. Its mission is to ensure the use of radioactive sources continues to be regarded by the public, the media, legislators, and regulators as beneficial.
The objectives of ISSPA are:
- to establish, implement, and maintain a Code of Good Practice for source manufacturers and suppliers that will contribute to enhancing safety and security of sources throughout their life cycle
- to represent and communicate the interests of the Members with the International Atomic Energy Agency, legislative authorities and national regulators, and other key stakeholders
- to provide industry leadership in the development, implementation, and application of international guidelines and national regulations with respect to the safe and secure design, manufacture, and supply of radioactive sources
- to build and enhance public, user, and media confidence in safe and secure life cycle management of radioactive sources to promote their beneficial use
- to educate legislators and other key stakeholders with respect to the safety, security, and beneficial use of radioactive sources
- to promote good, sustainable practices by Association Members to enhance perception of the industry and the Members with regulators, the public and the media
- to provide technical expertise to assist and facilitate the management of disused sources